[TowerTalk] Avoiding connectors. Yellow stuff

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 08:56:10 -0400

.the yellow stuff is probably Phenolic, made by the American
> Phenolic Corp. (A.K.A.   AMPHENOL)

Phenolic is paper based, and is actually pretty good at HF. It
generally had a dark reddish brown color, and sort of crumbles
when it is broken. It turns black with high temperatures, and falls
apart, but doesn't melt. Touch it with a solder iron tip, and it barely
leaves a dark spot.

All the stuff I've seen that melts is plastic, but I don't know the
exact composition. Most of the melting connectors I've seen are
imports from China and Taiwan. I've seen both brownish and
yellowish colors melt.

Normal Amphenols are plastic, but they handle at least 5 kW CCS
at HF and have less heating at VHF than phenolic connectors.

You can't tell the good plastics from the poor ones without making
RF tests, but of you buy an Amphenol your are safe. No matter
what color it is.
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com