[TowerTalk] windload rating of triex LM470e tower to be independently verified

Bob Otto Bob Otto <N8NGA@one.net>
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 17:09:27 -0400

Hello Al,

Just wanted to share a couple of thoughts with you.  I have no idea
whether the data you have is correct or not, but I do have quite a bit
of general experience with building depts., and tower companies.  Most
tower companies will not provide what is called a "wet signature" any
more.  They will give you construction "guidelines", and analysis
figures. There are two reasons for this.  First, each building
department has different requirements, and wants analysis calculations
done different ways. Tower companies, rather than tailor each set of
figures to a specific local, publish one set and requests you get a
local engineer that knows the local requirements to determine
applicability to the local building dept. requirements. Additionally,
there is a uniform code that was adopted some years ago that
represented a more stringent building requirement, and most companies
had to re-calculate their towers strength ratings. Many of these
companies do not have engineers on staff, so it was done once, and the
results became the basis for each data package delivered.  Tower
companies with no substantial engineering staff, cannot afford to
develop a specific analysis for each local as it comes up.

The second reason tower companies are reluctant to provide the "wet
signature" is liability.  Tower companies cannot be there to assess
soil conditions, the amount of trees (affecting class A or B or C,
etc.), and have no control over what happens after the tower is
delivered.  Unfortunately, in this letigious society we live in,
should anything happen, the tower manufacturer is sued.  By placing
the responsibility on the local engineer, they avoid suits.

I hope you find the analysis you got is correct, and that all is well
with your tower setup.

73's from.......

Bob Otto
N8NGA@one.net
Cincinnati, Ohio

DXCC 10M         ** DX is !! **        WAS 10M
       There is a very fine line between
         "HOBBY" and "MENTAL ILLNESS"
When trouble arises and things look really bad,
there is always one individual who perceives a
solution and is willing to take command.
      VERY OFTEN THAT PERSON IS CRAZY!