[TowerTalk] guy wire clearance

Mike Gilmer - N2MG n2mg@contesting.com
29 Sep 2000 05:57:15 -0700

This is a simple geometry problem using similar triangles (no trig!).

GH = Guy Height (height of attachment point on tower)
AH = Antenna Height
GD = Guy Distance (distance from tower to guy anchor)
TRmax = maximum turning radius (the answer!)

TRmax = GD( (GH-AH)/GH )

which "simplifies" to:
TRmax = GD( 1-(AH/GH) )

Of course, your antenna does not turn about the center of the tower, so you actually have less room than TRmax (by an amount equal to the distance from the tower to the antenna's mast).  A swinging gate lowers TRmax in the same way, also.

If your numbers are really close, I'd also worry about guy sag and wind.  Don't split hairs!

Hope this helps.

Mike
N2MG

http://www.peoplepc.com