[TowerTalk] COAX connector heating

Ron KA4INM Youvan ka4inm@qsl.net
Sun, 01 Apr 2001 00:57:27 +0000

Hi:

> Any "warm" coax in the shack is problematic.
>  It's a symptom of some
> resistance to ground within
> the feedline system and that's not good.
>  That means some of your power is
> being dissipated inside the shack,
> instead of making its way to the antenna.

  I have been waiting for someone to bring up the
PL-259 connectors.
  If you use them for VHF or UHF or more than 100
watts you would be ill advised to not solder
properly through ALL 4 holes.
  I have been making them up for over 38 years
and I use a Weller GT7 gun or a pencil point
propane torch.
  You must make the solder `in there' flow,
pre tinning the braid first is a gud thing.
  I have gotten much flames about using a torch,
but I have developed the skills to do it well,
without cooking the connector or coax.  YMMV :)
  I have bought much at hamfests and most PL-259's
that came on cables etc. were poorly to badly made,
few (or none) were done properly.

  73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@qsl.net  SENT Time and Date are UTC
      I upgraded to LINUX, the more I use it, the more I love it.
        It doesn't do everything for you, you must program it.
         Visit my HAM Web SITE at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm