[TowerTalk] Connectors

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 10:14:32 -0400

Hi Chris,

> After many years of struggling with soldering into little holes on
> lousy connectors, I gradually started migrating to N connectors.  They
> are less lossy, generally waterproof and mate more reliably than UHF
> connectors. Unfortunately, ham equipment suppliers continue to churn
> out high-power equipment with UHF connectors, for reasons that I
> cannot understand.

I hate to start another owl thread, but UHF connectors get a bad
rap mostly through folklore and misunderstandings. Now there are
cheap connectors of both types, that aren't worth a hoot, but in
general UHF connectors are very good connectors.

UHF connectors handle much more power than N connectors.
They are much more reliable when the load is mismatched or
power is high.

The loss in a UHF connector is negligible, and they are actually
less lossy at VHF and lower than most N's (which also have
negligible loss at HF). They handle much more power than a N
connector, which is really like a BNC dimensionally.

They are not as water resistant as properly installed N connectors
with rubber seals, but actually neither connector should be left
exposed to moisture. Both types should have some type of
weather shield when used outdoors.

UHF connectors are very easy to install, and mechanically stronger
than most N connectors.

These reasons are why you will not see anyone changed to N
connectors, unless the equipment is at upper VHF or UHF or is an
impedance-critical application. I'm just the opposite of you on this. I
HATE connectors and remove them whenever possible.

I machine the UHF N connectors I get on surplus hardline into UHF
female connectors. It is always worth the work just by the
improvement in reliability alone.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com