[TowerTalk] taking connectors off

Ron KA4INM Youvan ka4inm@qsl.net
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 09:31:50 -0400

Hi:

> I've read lots of good tips for putting connectors
> of all types onto coax.
> But my questions is:
> What is the best way to remove UHF connectors
> without damaging the connector or the coax?
> Should I reuse an old connector at all?
> Should I only install NEW NEVER BEEN USED connectors?

  I have reused phenolic and teflon UHF male connectors
repeatedly over the last 40 years.
  I do it this way:
    1. cut the coax 2-3 inches from the connector
    2. Grip the coax with large household pliers on end
    3. heat the center pin with a pencil point propane torch
        (free-standing on the tank, pointed away from you,
       the flame should not point at the insulator, just the pin
        tip from underneath the connector)
    4. sling the connector using centrifugal force to throw
        the solder within it, into a waste container.
    5. heat the side holes (braid) one at a time, when
        the solder flows, bang the piece of coax between
        the pliers and the connector against the top edge
        of the trash container with the hot hole facing down
        (using negative acceleration here)
    6. when the last one in done, (while still hot) put the
        coax (where the pliers were) into a bench vise, use
        the pliers to carefully unscrew the connector off
        of the coax or adapter.
  Do within about 2 minutes each.

  I never bought a new (teflon) connector before 1991
when I started working with VHF/UHF.

  OK flame me, I have the skills to do it without damaging them.

         73 (= Best Regards) de: (= this is) Ron ka4inm@qsl.net
       Please visit my HAM web site at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm