[TowerTalk] Concrete for Guy Points

Stan or Patricia Griffiths w7ni@easystreet.com
Mon, 09 Apr 2001 13:36:33 -0700

Here is something to think about.  Power companies and
telephone companies probably have more guy wires installed
than any other entity you can think of.  They have thousands
of them right in my neighborhood.  I have watched many of
them being installed and I have NEVER seen a concrete truck
anywhere near where the work is being done.  The simple
answer is that they generally do not use concrete for their
guy anchors.  Have you ever seen a uttility company guy
anchor failure?  I have not.

Utility companies use EARTH ANCHORS that require no
concrete.  They are not very expensive, either . . . about
$20-25 per anchor.  They hold thousands of pounds.  I put in
9 of them for my 3 towers (all over 100 feet high) in the
1973-1975 time frame and they are all still there and so are
the towers.  I used some anchor rods that were 9 feet long
and had to dig holes that were 6 feet deep but the exercise
was good for me (and I did not die in a cave-in, either).

My 2 cents worth . . .

Stan
w7ni@easystreet.com

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,