[TowerTalk] Hams and prostrate cancer

Gary J. Ferdinand W2CS w2cs@ipass.net
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:07:04 -0400

Carl,

I think it's fair to say that there are many beliefs surrounding prostate
cancer, many of which lack complete science to conclude truth, but also many
of which have at least some science to lend credibility to the belief.
Cancer spread due to a biopsy I think falls into this grey area, with some
evidence, but not enough science for a conclusion.  One of the most
frustrating things about this disease is the lack of good science (it takes
so long to do studies with 10-15 year timespans) and the overall lack of
knowledge within the medical community about modern prostate cancer
diagnosis, testing and treatment options.  The Information Age has brought
about an explosion of available information to professionals such as
physicians and being swamped by such information is common.  Here in the US
at least docs find themselves spending less and less time with patients due
to the lower and lower payments they get for their expertise, leaving less
time for research and keeping up with the profession.  [No, I'm not a
physician and I'm not in the medical field.]

My view is to get in the mind set of getting the PSA test routinely,
starting young (see prior posting).  What you do if you ever do get an
adverse number is UP TO YOU, NOT YOUR UROLOGIST or anyone else.  There are
quite a few non-invasive tests that can be used that do not involve
puncturing anything :)   Examples:  Color Doppler ultrasound, Free PSA,
spiral CT with spectroscopy, prostascint scan, etc.  In the hands of doctors
who have become "artists" in their field,  much can be inferred from such
non-invasive tests.   You take things one step at a time.

Rule 1:  Routine PSA tests, starting at your next physical, regardless of
age.
Rule 2:  If the unthinkable happens, use a TEAM of physicians to help with
the treatment strategy.  It's almost impossible for one doc, regardless of
specialty, to be well enough informed, and it's your life.

Worry about biopsies if and when you have to.

73,

Gary W2CS

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,
http://www.championradio.com