[TowerTalk] big base hole

Jonathan Kaplan jonk@jskent.com
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 15:03:35 -0700

At 03:05 PM 4/22/01 -0600, Chris Adams wrote:

>1.  Digging holes in extremely rocky soil (assume blasting is not
>allowed)
>2.  Methods of determining bedrock strength and attaching a tower base
>to bedrock.

My own experience included using a P.E. He'll give you a design that will fit
your conditions and it will be correct and maybe even save you money,
especially
if you already have a geology report. In my own case, instead of a 4x4x4
block, we
used a 17ft x3ft round hole, drilled in 90 minutes by a backhoe with a
drill attachment.
The PE's fee was more than recouped in digging time and concrete costs
saved and
I didn't have to worry about all those issues.

73

Jonathan Kaplan KO6XS

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,
http://www.championradio.com