[TowerTalk] C31XR / CC 402CD Question

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:40:55 -0600

N4KG responses inserted throughout text below.

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:02:08 -0400 "Guy Olinger, K2AV"
<k2av@contesting.com> writes:
> You might think a little about it. If it affects one fifteen meter beam
> in-line, it will affect any because the secondary resonance effect
> is on the forty meter beam, not the 15 meter beam.

	Understand and agree, IF and that is a BIG IF
	the 40M beam exhibits a 15M resonance.
	My point is that a LOADED element does NOT
	necessarily exhibit a resonance at 3X the
	fundamental resonance.    de N4KG

>Also please note that  the
> 21 MHz resonance effect uses the ENTIRE element, behaving like three
> electrical half waves, not one,

	This is true for a FULL SIZE element,
	NOT TRUE for a loaded element.
	de N4KG

 and since the loading coil is not a  15 meter trap, the length
of the element between the coils does not  control
> the secondary resonance.

	I DISAGREE with the second part of that statement.
	The loading coil presents an INDUCTIVE REACTANCE
	at it's placement point.  IF that reactance is sufficient
	to isolate the end of the element, a 'resonance' will be
	seen at the frequency which corresponds to 1/2 WL
	at the coil spacing.

	I recall reading a report where
	resistors were placed in a dipole antenna and SWR
	was measured at the higher 'resonance' frequency.
	If I remember correctly, reasonable SWR was achieved
	with around 3000 ohms of isolation from the outer
	portion of the antenna.

	SO, if the Loading Coil is providing more than a
	few thousand ohms of reactance	I suspect it does
	a fairly good job of isolating the rest of the element.
	de  Tom  N4KG

> As to factuality, a good friend here in the Raleigh area had this
> problem, and spent some serious money to have a noted east coast ham
> tower man to try all the possibilities. My friend's factual wallet
> pain on the issue, in my mind, trumps your postulations, as do quite
some
> number of posts which may be found in the archives.

	Most of the reports that I recall report no problem with
	the 402CD.  I have seen reports of problems with the
	XM240 which insulates the reflector from the boom.

	One more thought.  The DE of the 402CD is a SPLIT
	DIPOLE.  Therefore, the IMPEDANCE reflected to the
	feedpoint by the unfed COAX can have an effect on the
	characteristics of the DE.  This reflected impedance
	can be changed by changing the termination on the
	unfed coax (short or open) or changing the length
	of the coax.  Did the "high priced tower expert" try
	this approach?	de  N4KG

> I stand by my prior remarks.
>
> I will not respond to your ungentlemanly use of "presumptuous" or
> inference that I am misleading to pad some interest.

	PRESUMPTUOUS:  "characterized by or showing
	presumption or readiness to presume in conduct
	or thought"

	MISLEAD:  1. "to lead or guide wrongly"
		      2. "to lead into error of thought"

	I disagree with your conclusions and believe them
	to be misleading.  Presumptuous may be a bit
	strong but you do seem to presume that all 402CD's
	WILL affect any 15M antenna and I do not agree
	with that conclusion.   de  Tom  N4KG

> For the record, I have no financial or commercial interest in ANY of
> the antenna manufacturers. I could care less who makes the worst and
> best,> other than to avoid the one and embrace the other. I have paid
the
> going price for any antenna I have bought.

	Same here.  My 402CD was bought and pair for.
	IMHO, it provides a good value for the money.
	de Tom  N4KG

	Parting Question:  Does anyone have a 402CD
	on the ground?  It would be interesting to measure
	the resonances of the DE from 7 through 28 MHz.
	and report them here on TowerTalk.  de  Tom N4KG

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,
http://www.championradio.com