[TowerTalk] Pinning Masts

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 12:09:18 EDT

In a message dated 4/23/01 8:05:08 AM Pacific Daylight Time, K7LXC@aol.com
writes:
<< In a message dated 4/22/01 9:20:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
k0wa@swbell.net
 writes:
 > I do not like pinning of a mast no matter what the material is.  Either
the
 >  holes will elongate or the bolts will fail in time.

     AND the forces will find the next weak link in the chain. In this case
 it's gears or brake in the rotator. Ouch!

 Cheers,    Steve    K7LXC
 Tower Tech

You are right Steve but those of us who use Prop Pitch Motors don't have to
worry about all that and all the band aids needed on other rotators.  Further
we don't have to worry about beam orientation in high winds either.

I just had the mechnaical joy of converting a medium PP motor for higher
speed.  I only paid $50 for it--the most I ever paid.  Of the 8 I have I've
only paid a total of $200 for all of them and very little maintenance or
problems in over 50 years.

It's a wise idea to use beams properly designed like M2, Raibeam & Antenna
Mart and towers with proper guying or telephone poles and those all "wind
worry problems" go away.

The recent posts on concrete were informative.  All that concrete talk got
very heavy and technical.  Telephone poles can be installed in 15 minutes or
less after the hole is dug and require no guys or heavy or expensive
concrete, guy anchors expensive consultants on all that tower technical stuff
and painting.  If you move, cut it off at the base and throw a can of Stump
Remover on it.  Big concrete blocks are also expensive to remove from the
ground--by others.

A 2 wire track on a telephone for a carriage of a 10' section of tower going
up and down the wires with a counter weight holding the rotator and mast is a
great support for a single beam.  It makes it easy to repair bent mast
also--very near the ground.

I just got 3 Raibeams for a special 6M unique stacking arrangement--more pure
antenna joy.  k7gco

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,
http://www.championradio.com

-----