[TowerTalk] C31XR / CC 402CD Question

David Jones djones449@home.com
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 22:14:10 -0400

Dave,
Your posting raised a somewhat related experience I am having right now and
I would love your input.
I have a tribander/40m dipole (cut 7.060) yagi at about 52ft, along with
Inv-V for 80m (cut 3.550) about 6ft beneath it (and a 160 Inv-L at that same
level, but not part of this concern).  That's four antennas all switched
with an Ameritron RCS-8 (5 feed switchbox).

I tried to put up another dipole for 80m (3.790) another 4ft or so below the
first - way too much interaction with both the original 80m and the 40m (in
fact the original 40m shows interaction as you swing it around on the
rotator, I presume with the 80m dipole?).
So I then tried to cut the dipole down to 40m (7.225) - still a problem with
interaction.
It's now a 30m dipole much lower on the tiny tower, and not causing a
problem (I can see).

My questions (after all this):
1) Does the setup of the RCS-8 play a role in causing (or hopefully
eliminating) interaction.  I believe it comes from the factory with "open"
positions for the unused antennas.  Would shorted unused antennas cure the
problem?
2) As you suggested, is there a way to "play" with the length of the feed
after the switchbox to help lower any interaction and spikes in Swr as it
rotates?
Thanks for any input!