[TowerTalk] Placement of Lightning Protectors

EUGENE SMAR SPELUNK.SUENO@prodigy.net
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 22:29:19 -0400

TT:

     Today on the ARRL's web page (www.arrl.org ) there is a lead-in to an
article about W1AW's antenna farm.  Naturally I clicked on the page and, to
my delight and vindication, found that the League's HQ antennas are all
grounded the way I'd planned for my installation:  lightning protectors at
the base of the towers in a metallic box, thence to the radio room via
underground plastic conduit.  At the shack end, the coax shields are
grounded to an aluminum plate which is in turn connected through copper
straps to the electrical and water systems and to earth.

     Obviously no guaranty against a lightning hit to my station, but at
least I feel more confident because W1AW (and N3RR) take this approach to
lightning protection.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,