[TowerTalk] 70' mast

Eugene Jensen eugenej@optonline.net
Tue, 07 Aug 2001 21:56:35 -0400

Right on Steve, Most of us spend big bucks to make sure what we put in the
air, stays in the air. We  pour 10 yards of concrete today in a HEAT WAVE
that was murder to work in. At the moment I have spent $2500.00 in ground.
But when I'm done, I will sleep soundly at night knowing I won't have my
Antenna as my bed partner :-) Gene K2QWD

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-towertalk@contesting.com
[mailto:owner-towertalk@contesting.com]On Behalf Of K7LXC@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 8:04 PM
To: ackster@pcsonline.com; towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 70' mast

ackster@pcsonline.com writes:

> I am new to this tower stuff and need to get some basic info for my
>  contractor/engineering friend, so we can put this up right.  We want
>  to put up a 70' mast such as the rohn h70 or something similar.  The
>  mast will be place next to the peak side of a house, so the first 16'
>  can be bracketed to the house.  That side of the house is made of
>  concrete block, so I am hoping it will be strong enough.
>
>  I know I will have to guy every ten feet, can I start the guying at
>  the 20 foot mark?  I also know I will be using 3 wires at each guy
>  point.
>
>  Ok now for the details.  All I want to put on this is a Omni
>  Directional antenna about 36" long.  The catch is that I live in SW FL,
so
> it should be able to handle high winds (110 mph is county reg for
>  towers).

    Bad new, Dude. The mast will never pass any engineering specs for that
windspeed. You need a real tower designed for that extraordinary windspeed.

    If you're not going to get a permit or anything, go ahead and put it up
but plan on replacing it everytime a storm comes through.

Cheers,    Steve     K7LXC
Tower Tech

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----