[TowerTalk] antenna height

K4IA@aol.com K4IA@aol.com
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 13:44:31 EDT

I don't know how the Trig would work but in the Boy Scouts we learned to
measure the length of the shadow.  Compare that to the length of a shadow
from an object of known height and figure the ratio.  if a three foot ruler
casts a six foot shadow then a fifty foot shadow would go along with a 100
foot tree.  6/3 = X/50 and solve for X

That is if both shadows are measured at the same time of day ;-)

Another way is to measure the perspective.  From a distance, hold up a ruler
and if a six foot man measures 3 inches high and the tree appears two feet
high. Solve the ratios again and you have the height of the tree.   6/.25 =
x/2    The tree is 48 feet high.

Lot's easier than trig.

K4IA
Buck