[TowerTalk] A Beautiful Trench

kk9a@arrl.net kk9a@arrl.net
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 20:20:54 -0500

Hi Jim:

About 12 years ago I buried 380' of 4" PVC solid pipe between
my house and tower.   I have fished wires five different times and
I've had no tangling problems.  I always put pull lubricant on the
new wires and they pull through fairly easy.  I use 12ga house wire
for the pull cable.

GL,
John

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Idelson
To: TowerTalk Post
Sent: 8/13/2001 10:29 AM
Subject: [TowerTalk] A Beautiful Trench

Good morning,

Just finished digging the trench for a feedline and control line conduit
from
the house to the tower. The trench is about 12 inches deep, 10 inches
wide, and 90 feet long.

I was planning to put about 1.5 inches of pea stone on the bottom of the

trench, and lay in side-by-side two 3-inch septic-type schedule 40 PVC pipes

with holes down for drainage. The ends will come out of the ground
slowly at a  very slight angle - 30 degrees, I guess.

What about the fish line? What kind of line should be left inside
permanently
for pulling new cables?

Any comments on the overall plan? Is one 4-inch or bigger pipe a better
or
worse idea? I was thinking that separate pipes reduces the potential for

tangling inside as the number of cables changes over time.

This is my first time doing this part of the job. All suggestions
welcome.

73,

Jim K1IR

The Information Resource for Conferencing Professionals
James S. Idelson
President
DesigNET International, Inc.
96 Morse Road