[TowerTalk] side mounts

Stan or Patricia Griffiths w7ni@easystreet.com
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 02:13:06 -0700

Hi Mike,

I have successfully mounted a HyGain Explorer 14 on a 300 degree rotating
sidemount.  Yes, I had to offset it because the driven elements (this is a dual
driven element tribander) are in the center of the antenna.  I did not
counter-weight the short end of the boom, however.  Instead, I trussed the long
end up to a second arm extending out from the mast about 5 feet above the arm
the boom is mounted on.  I have taken this sidemount down off the tower it was
on about two weeks ago and I would consider selling it if you are interested in
buying it.  You might take a look at the Custom Metalworks sidemounts that I
sell on the following web site:

http://www.reprise.com/antronics/default.asp

Stan
w7ni@easystreet.com

Mike & Coreen Smith wrote:

> Anyone done much work with side mounts?
> I think I heard somewhere you can get ~300degrees of rotation from them.
> (true?)
> What about something like an A3S on a side mount?  The driven element is
> right at the boom-to-mast bracket.
> Would you need to somehow offset mount that bracket and add a counterweight
> to the front or back of the boom
> so you could get the elements "away from the tower" as it were?
>
> Thanks,.
> Mike Ve9AA
>
> Michael, Coreen & Corey Smith
> (VE9AA,  VE9AAA & Baby)