[TowerTalk] 75M Rotatable Dipoles

J. Kincade w5kp@swbell.net
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 18:48:39 -0500

Thanks to all for the good ideas from some very knowledgeable individuals on
the list re my question whether a 75M RD will work for beans at 92'. I
should have mentioned that on the 15' of mast available, there will be a
C3XLD (33' boom) at 2', with 12' or so available above that. I need to keep
the wind load at the 12' level of the mast (92' high) at around 6 square
feet or less to remain within the 110 mph comfort margin of my mast. I do
intend to shunt feed the tower on 160. Had not planned to combo that with
and 80 shunt feed, though.

General consensus was to go with a 4-5 sq ft shorty 40 10' above the
tribander, and use some sort of inverted V setup (or maybe two of them
switched) on 80 below that. The discomfort I have with that idea is I just
spent a couple of paychecks on Phillystran, and I hate to think I'd negate
all that expensive electrical isolation by hanging a bunch of wires from the
top of the tower. Wouldn't they act much like the metal guys I just spent
bucks to avoid using?

So, the question: Would an 80M inverted V a few feet below the C3XLD have a
negative effect on its pattern/swr? The C3XLD consists of three end-to-end
"monobanders", with three separate baluns and feed lines and no traps,
sleeves, or loading gimmicks, which is why I'm hoping I will like it.

Tks for all the thoughtful and interesting inputs!
73, Jerry

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----