[TowerTalk] Shack Ideas

Kevin Hemsley Kevin Hemsley" <kev@ida.net
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 12:25:49 -0600

I have had a couple of direct questions about my project.  Here is some
clarification.  My current design is for a new room that has a long "closet"
in the corner of the room located directly behind the equipment shelves.
The wall separating the operating "desk" and the "closet" will have open
"windows" (shelves which extend through the wall) to allow direct access to
the equipment from behind.  The coax bulkhead/patch panel, grounding, etc.
will be located inside the "closet".  The closet will have a door on the
end. I'm still working on the design of the pass-through wall and the custom
desk.  The idea is to have the equipment set on shelves which extend from
the operating side of the wall into the closet.  I'm trying to decide it I
want the equipment to be flush with the wall, or to build a tiered design.
The operating desk/closet will be about 10 feet long allowing for two
operator positions.

Here is an attempt at a diagram to demonstrate the concept.

You will need to view this using a fixed font.  If it looks like garbage,
copy and paste it into notepad and it will appear.

ASCII drawing of Operating Table & Closet (Side View)

                  ============
               |> || Closet ||
               |  ||        ||
     Equipment=|  ||--      ||
      Shelves  |  ||        ||
               |> ||--      || <=Outside Wall
                  ||        ||
 Operating=>  ====||--      ||
   Table      |   ||        ||
              |   ||        ||
              |   ||        ||

The idea is to provide easy access to the equipment from behind, while
cleaning up the appearance for the XYL.  I keep telling her that beauty is
in the eye of the beholder, and my operating desk is a work of art, but she
doesn't buy it.  The room will be fairly long, so I will have room at one
end for a work bench and my test equipment, and a couch for an occasional
snooze.  I plan to bring in plenty of power, and the basics of network cable
and CATV so I can occasionally check on the outside world.  The TV will also
allow me to view the tower-mounted beam cam.  If anyone has any links to
shack pics I can use for ideas, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
                Kevin
Kevin Hemsley
Systems Engineer