[TowerTalk] AL-1500 Amp Mod

N1LN n1ln@earthlink.net
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 07:27:40 -0500

While at the Arlington, TX HamComm in June, I noticed that Ameritron had
made a modification to the T/R relay in the AL-1500.   Specifically, they
replaced the 3PDT mechanical unit with a pc board - electro / mechanical
ckt.   Having replaced the relay twice in my AL-1500 I immediately became
interested.     The next week I called their technical department and after
a short time convinced them that it actually could be a field installable
upgrade.  If you are an AL-1500 owner / user and are interested, call them
and order part # 861-0453.   It costs about $35.00.   As this is not
intended to be field installed, the instructions / prints that I got were
all hand drawn and very hard to follow.   I have since created my own set
using Microsoft word with digital color pictures included.   I offered them
to Ameritron, but they were not interested.   If you are, send me an email
and I will send you the instructions.

As for the upgrade.   It is working fine - but have not "contest tested" it
yet.   That will come soon.

73 - Bruce - N1LN
n1ln@arrl.net
n1ln@earthlink.net