[TowerTalk] Ladder Line and Coax

2 2@vc.net
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 18:05:30 -0700

>Have been thinking of installing a simple antenna to
>cover the SE in contests and as a backup in general.
>Was considering a inverted vee hung from the tower and
>fed with ladder line & tuner.  I want to cover only 10
>thru 40.  My question is this: my tower is about 100
>ft ftom the house and want to feed this antenna with
>ladder line near the ground, how do I handle that
>transition to coax?

An efficient way to ground-feed a 1 or more halfwave inverted V is with a
remote controlled L-network.  Fair Radio Sales sells a Collins c. 30uH DC
motor driven variable-inductor that wurks well for such applications.  I
used one in conjunction with a PM-DC gear-motor driven Johnson
air-variable cap.  This type of antenna is the "Hertz".  It works well on
other band where the antenna is multiple halfwaves. Feed-Z at resonance
is 2000-ohms, depending on wire diameter.  (Larger diameter wire lowers
the resonance Z.)    Thus, a fairly simple ground connection will work to
perfection.  However, ground rods do not make the lowest-R HF ground.
U.S. Army anti-tank mine research found that HF-RF typically disappears
inches below ground.  So ground rods do a better job when they are buried
horizontally just under the surface.

Cheers, Gale.