[TowerTalk] Coax recommendation

James C. Hall, M.D. nwtncc@iswt.com
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 11:53:09 -0500

Gentlemen:

I am trying to decide on a proper cable arrangement for my 72' crank-up
tower which is 125' (approx.) from the shack that will have Force 12 Mag
620/340 and 4BA on the mast with 10' separation.  My thought is to use
LMR-600 from the SPG to the tower junction box and much more flexible stuff
to the coax switch, from the switch to the tower leg grounding point, and
from the SPG to the shack.  My question pertains primarily to the run up the
tower to the antennas (4 of them).  It has been suggested to use LMR-600
with its low-loss properties up the tower to a point (at the tower top
grounding point) and then use flexible stuff (9913 or LMR-400UF).  My
problem is that it's a crank-up tower that has the potential to crack the
solid center conductor when it is cranked down.  Am I being overly cautious
here or is this valid ?  Concrete will be poured this Thursday !! (Yes, I AM
excited ).

I plan on placing a small junction box at the tower where there will be
received 120 VAC as well as a place for strain relief and weather protection
of the connectors.  Now , I'm kinda new at this.  Please explain why this is
necessary.  Originally I had planned to blow all these cables down the PVC
to the SPG where the lightning protection gear would receive them and then
on to the shack.  Am I missing something here ?

Jamie
WB4YDL

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----