[TowerTalk] Improving connectors

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 09:47:33 -0400

> Years ago I recall reading about a chemical of some sort that came in a
> tube (I think), which when smeared on the terminals of a plug would
> produce a huge improvement in the quality of the connection to the mating
> socket.

You can silver or gold plate the hardware, but whatever you do DO
NOT use a conductive goo....or any other type of grease...to flood a
connector.

The only thing you might want to use is a teflon paste or 100%
pure silicon grease and use it sparingly. We flooded F connectors
with it with both without a problem, but that was for receiving
applications.

For transmitting or higher voltage power connections, I'd only do a
light coat on the threads and make sure it is a *dielectric*
compound.

> Does anyone recall this stuff and know where to get it?  I have a couple
> of cranky Jones plugs that I'd like to salvage if I could.

Use a pencil or ink eraser and rub the male contacts clean. WD-40
the female and plug the male in and out about until you hand falls
off. Then clean it off with a light hydrocarbon like MEK or pure
100% alcohol.

You can give the plug a light coat of silicon dielectric compound on
the male pins.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,