[TowerTalk] Prop Pitch Bevel Gear

Mel Farrer mfarrer@tality.com
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:49:49 -0700

I found a 3/4" pitch chain drive sprocket for the PP and another for the
mast then side mounted the PP and used a stainless chain to drive.  Worked
great.  Caution, don't let it have any slack in the chain.

-----Original Message-----
From: Lance Collister [mailto:w7gj@bigskyspaces.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 12:30 PM
To: Tower Talk Reflector
Subject: [TowerTalk] Prop Pitch Bevel Gear

I have a medium size prop pitch (about 9" or 10" in diameter) with a 4"
diameter (to
the outside of the splines) splined output drive cylinder with 40
teeth/splines. The
beveled gear that normally fits over this splined drive cylinder has been
removed.
Because a pipe fitting has been welded into the hollow middle of the drive
cylinder,
I am unable to insert a standard M2 mast clamping assembly into the INSIDE
space of
the drive cylinder.

So...my next option is to try to find a bevel gear fitting that will key
into the
splines around the OUTSIDE of the 4" diameter drive cylinder.  (It is my
understanding that the typical prop pitch bevel gears are at the top of a
sleeve
that fits down over the vertical splines of such a drive shaft.)  Then I can
weld a
plate to the top of that fitting, and install mast clamps onto that.  Since
I am
turning a 6m EME array with this motor, I want to make sure I have as good a
grip on
the mast as possible, which is why I am trying to solve the problem with a
secure
clamping system solidly anchored to the motor, rather than just using a bolt
through
the mast and plumbing fitting (as it appears some folks with smaller
antennas have
done successfully in the past).

If anyone has an unused bevel gear fitting from such a prop pitch, I sure
would
appreciate hearing from you!  MNI TNX and 73, Lance

Lance Collister, W7GJ (ex: WN3GPL, WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8)
P.O. Box 73
Frenchtown, MT  59834  USA
QTH: DN27UB
TEL: (406) 626-5728   FAX:(406) 728-6320

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----