[TowerTalk] Yeasu K-Factor

Lance Collister w7gj@bigskyspaces.com
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 15:51:04 -0600

Richard Thorne wrote:

> I'm getting some conflicting info on the Yeasu G1000SDX rotor.  On the
> Texas Towers web site they list the K-Factor as 1660 ft-lbs in one place
> and 2020 ft-lbs in another.  A check of the Yeasu site says the K-Factor
> is 1660 ft-lbs.
>
> If I use 1660 ft-lbs, it would not be enough to rotate a C31XR which has
> a K-Factor of 1951 ft-lbs.
>
> On the other hand the 1000sdx has been turning my C4XL quite nicely for
> a couple of years which has a 30' boom.
>
> If I upgrade to a C31 am I looking at a new rotor too?
>
> --
> Richard Thorne
> Advo Companies, Inc.
> 806-342-0600

> supporting towers up to 96 feet for under $1500!!  http://www.anwireless.com
>
> -----

Hi Richard,

All I can tell you is that I had a G1000SDX and it lasted about a year without any
signs of problem with my M2 6M35WL yagi (69' long, about 100 pounds) until one day I
came home to find it just freely spinning in the wind.  I think the straw that broke
the camel's back was the slop that eventually wore into the bolt holes where my mast
was joined...that increased the shock on the rotor as the wind knocked the antenna
back and forth.

My recommendation about little Yaesu rotators is - DON'T TAKE A CHANCE!  They are
very light duty....better go to the next larger size and build in a little safety
factor.  Use the existing rotor for turning a very light duty beam.  GL and 73,
Lance
--
Lance Collister, W7GJ (ex: WN3GPL, WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8)
P.O. Box 73