[TowerTalk] tuner/stepper motors?

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 06:42:40 -0400

Excellent idea:

> noise) and a fleamarket tv camera/B&W monitor to watch controls & the VSWR
> meter (yes, it could all be done remotely) and have at it.  This is in no
> way as sophisticated as the stepper method but the "KISS" approach has
> merit.

You can read SWR in the house. For control position, use pots.

I think a screwdriver would be about right for a roller if it had enough
torque, but would be fast for a air variable capacitor that goes
through it's entire range in 1/2 turn wouldn't it??

You might slow the screwdriver down with pulsed dc, or additional
gearing. Pulsed dc works very well with the gear reduction motor in
the MFJ loop antenna air variable, allowing it to creep into the
stopping position yet still have good torque. But that is a ~two
RPM gear motor. I think that motor is fairly cheap.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----