[TowerTalk] PVC and UV

Mike Gilmer - N2MG n2mg@contesting.com
30 Aug 2001 19:50:46 -0700

On Thu, 30 August 2001, "Ford Peterson" wrote:

> UV resistant paint would be ideal -- black preferred.
> Black is a natural UV resistant color.

Why is this so?  Black, by its nature, is a highly absorbing color for visible light of all wavelengths.  And depending on the paint, it likely does a commendable job of absorbing in the UV as well.  Perhaps if the paint were thick enough, the UV could get "trapped" in it, but I'm not sure how thick it would have to be (as thick as tape, perhaps?)

Painting it black will also allow the pipe to heat up while in direct sunlight - heat usually being a bad thing over time.

73 Mike N2MG