[TowerTalk] So much for SWR

Tom Osborne w7why@harborside.com
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 01:17:55 -0700

HI TT'ians.

I had quite an experience today.  I've been playing around,
trying to figure some sort of antenna to use for a 2nd radio
antenna.
Today I put up a G5RV (sorta).  I made it about 25 feet long on
each leg.  Fed it with half the length of twin lead (sorta) that
a regular G5RV would use.  Came in the shack and the first band I
tried was 15.  Couldn't believe my eyes, but the SWR was FLAT!!
Got all excited and started tuning around the band.  Heard a DL
coming in but not too strong.  I switched to my 20 meter beam and
low and behold, he was louder on that than the (sorta) G5RV.  I
switched to the 40 meter verticals and he was louder on that
too.  I could tune the SWR down on other bands, but boy, what a
dog of an antenna it was!  It came down and went into the scrap
pile.  Guess it goes to showya that SWR don't mean diddly
sometimes.  73
Tom W7WHY

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----