[TowerTalk] DF antennas questions

Dale L Martin kg5u@hal-pc.org
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 02:39:44 -0600

> noise, and I'm not sure about the big birdie on 28.5MHz. I'm thinking of
> making some loops for df'ing, and don't see all that much in the ARRL
> antenna book. Anyone have any better suggestions on DF-ing?
>
> I'm sorry I'm not asking a tower question, but I figure this is a
> precursor to my tower. :)

I had high, sporadic noise in the subdivision on everything from 80 through
10.  I put the mobile HF radio in the car and drove around the area until I
found where it peaked.  I had a portable sw radio with me and walked in
front of two houses and  the noise increased considerably as I approached
the front door.  I told the family living there they had a bad doorbell
transformer that needed replacing.  I asked them if they had heard the
buzzing noise on their radio or television and they said yes. I told them
that was what was causing it.  It was fixed the next day.  Had one other
similar incident and that got fixed quickly, too.  Maybe saying it's a fire
hazard helps, too, but I think it was that they could now watch television
without the wwhite noise on the screen.  :-)

Been fairly quiet since.

Also, while driving home one day, with the hf radio on, I remembered that my
home security system puts out an oscillator carrier on 14.008 MHz (why it
needs an oscillator beats me).  I could hear it from about 1/4 mile away.
Whether it was being re-radiated by my beams or not, I don't know, but I
have since tuned around 14MHz while driving through the subdivision and
found other alarm system oscillator carriers (maybe that's what they were.).

73,
dale, kg5u

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----