tall towers; Was: [TowerTalk] Fw: Television Tower Topples Very HeavyAntennas

Don Havlicek n8de@thepoint.net
Sun, 09 Dec 2001 22:15:52 -0500

When I was a 'young buck' in the early 60's, the radio store in
Cincinnati had a telescope set up in their front window so customers
could watch the workers building the Channel 12 tower across the valley
on the other hill about a mile away.
The workers did not climb the tower, but rode up in a 'bucket' that was
cable-driven from a point on a nearby cliff to the west of the tower.
Some of my friends said they 'would never climb that high'.
Of course, I told them that I enjoyed climbing towers [having been one
of the 'toppers' for W8FGX/W8DZ and W8JIN on their windmill towers with
full-sized 40m beams way back then!]
They dared me ... so I asked them to make it 'worth my while'.
It took me almost 2 hours to climb up the ladder on the northeast leg of
the tower ... only to be told by the workers who were installing the
antenna that the police were waiting for me at the base of the tower!
Rode down in the bucket .. the workers made it swing all over the place
.. scared the H#LL outta me !  They told the police they wouldn't press
charges .. and my buddies paid me the $60 they bet me !
Don
N8DE
Chris BONDE wrote:

> At 08:57 PM 2001-12-09 -0500, Stephanie WX3K wrote:
> >. What amazes me even
> >more is when you stand underneath a 300 foot self supporting tower and watch
> >how much the top of it whips around on a windy day ! Quite a sight too !
> >
> >Stephanie R. Koles WX3K
> >SBE Member
> >http://www.qsl.net/wx3k
> Stephanie:
> The thing that really shook my boots was being in a tower, CN tower in
> Toronto ON whcich is taller than the SPace needle in Seattle WA, then
> looking down at the ground through the floor window to see the movement.  W O W
>
> Chris opr VE7HCB

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----