[TowerTalk] Best wire (Was: Who makes Flexweave wire)

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@contesting.com
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 10:54:17 -0500

For what it's worth, I've had good luck with flex-weave, by doing the
following:

1) Only use the type with the insulating jacket.

2) Never run the wire through a pulley or loop so that the wire goes back
and forth, abrading or compressing the jacket, eg. don't use it as a rope.

3) At the ends you may be tying knots with the bare wire (which is why I
love the stuff). When you are done, put some tension on the wire and knots
like they will be in the air. COMPLETELY solder any bare wire. It wicks very
nicely. MAKE SURE that where the wire goes into the unremoved jacket that
you allow the solder to wick into the wire beneath the end of the jacket. A
half-inch is good. Let it cool and put it up. Never had first problem with
it.

***>>> If you give water a path into it, either originally or by letting
abrasion or "1.5 kw plus ends of dipole right in the tree where it can touch
while power applied" create a leak, the water will ruin the conductor
inside, and it's toast.

Pay attention to 1) 2) 3) and you have a low-resistance conductor that keeps
its characteristics.

If your circumstances are such that the above cannot be followed, better use
something else.

My 160 flexweave inv el stayed up no problems for 5 (?) years until a
lightning strike evaporated it, both support ends were from trees, and it
would go up and down a great deal in a storm. Never broke.

Other flexweave antennas that I've put up just for SS/FD were wonderful, in
that they spooled out nicely, and coiled up nicely for storage. Like coiling
up an extension cord. Also use it for anything strung off the tower, where I
have to remove it to allow some tower work to proceed, like taking
down/putting up a beam.

Probably go with the regular copper stuff, tho, for other uses with fixed
supports at both ends, and up permanently.

YMMV, of course.

73, Guy
K2AV