[TowerTalk] 9913 Reliability

Steve Maki steve@oakcom.com
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 19:26:18 -0500

W8JI wrote:

>You would NEVER get away with "sealing" 9913 in GA and
>keeping water out.  It probably is fine in Arizona, however.
>
>The only way I can think of the be safe in a humid climate is to
>flood the first few inches of cable with RTV after filling it with dry air.
>
>Problems are proportional to length and the "drop" in the cable, as
>well as local climate. If you have a flat run that is short, even if it is
>a mild leaker, you likely won't find a pool of water no matter how
>hard you look.
>
>If you have a 160 foot vertical drop, water will pool at the bottom no
>matter how you seal the stuff, short of plugging the ends with a few
>inches of RTV after purging it with dry air!
>
>Hollow cables without dry air pressure are a dumb idea. The loss
>decrease is very minor over foam, and no matter what you do it is
>unlikely you can seal a cable so good with air so dry you never
>have a problem, desert areas excluded.

While I think LMR-400 is a much better choice than 9913, water
ingress is caused by improper weatherproofing, period.

Proper weatherproofing WILL keep the water out - it'll also keep
it IN of course. Keeping a reel dry until it is installed is the
larger challenge in my view.

--
Steve K8LX

AN Wireless Self Supporting Towers are now available!  Windloading tables,
foundation diagrams and charts, along with full details are now at the
AN Wireless Web site:  http://www.ANWireless.com

-----