[TowerTalk] AL-1500 problems

José de Sá José de Sá"
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 01:02:20 -0000

Hi,
I have purchased a Ameritron AL-1500 amplifier 4 years ago and
for the last year it has developed a problem that I hope
you can help me solve.

A) When transmitting and returning to reception, the
reception signal strenght in the radio lowers dramatically and it
only returns to normal after I press the radio PTT switch for
several times.
I do have this problem for some time now (probably over an year)
and thinking that it could be the AL-1500 open relay, I
purchased a new relay (a couple of months ago) and
installed it along with a fast QSK board (one of this Increasing
Amplifier Relay speed boards by K6XX),
NEVERTHELESS THE PROBLEM REMAINS.

So, its not the relay.

I don't know if this is a common problem for you and I really
hope you can help me troubleshoot the problem and fix
it.

In order for you to better understand the problem here is a
description of the setup working along with the
AL-1500:
Radio: Kenwood TS-870 (driving the AL-1500 with a max of 70
watt).
All antennas show a SWR lower that 1:1.5
All equipments have got a good ground.

Note 1: I noticed that after I installed this fast QSK board by
K6XX the problem got a bit worst as reception gets lower
in strenght even when the amp is ON but I'm not transmitting,
could I be mistaken ?

Note 2: Another thing is that when this happens I tryed to turn the
amplifier
completelly off (no power) and the radio reception is still low until I
press the PTT, then it returns to normal and never happens again
while I'm using only the radio, if I start using the amp again the problem
returns.

Looking for your reply.
Best regards,

Jose E. Ribeiro Sa   CT1EEB
http://www.qsl.net/ct1eeb

AN Wireless Self Supporting Towers are now available!  Windloading tables,
foundation diagrams and charts, along with full details are now at the
AN Wireless Web site:  http://www.ANWireless.com

-----