[TowerTalk] Maintainance on leather climbing belt

Bill Otten Bill Otten" <res0958z@verizon.net
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 10:46:44 -0500

                                                      .
I have a leather climbing belt with all the tool loops, etc. It is very
heavy thick leather that feels like it has a waxy type of material on it to
preserve it. The loops, buckle attachments, are all riveted through the
leather with a sandwiched brass ? looking material. The portion of the belt
that goes around the tower itself (not the waist part) is a very heavy nylon
looking woven material. My question is how to clean the leather part of the
belt and keep it supple and not decaying. It isn't now although the waxy
looking stuff is mottled looking and it almost appears as though some mildew
looking stuff is spotted on the surface. Neatsfoot oil? Something else?
Anyone seen these with that waxy feeling, waxy looking substance on the
leather?

I usually clamp my ample girth to the tower at a foot or two above ground
level and lean into the whole shebang to 'test' the belt prior to a full
climb.

Thanks for any help! Happy Holidays.....

Bill
KC9CS

AN Wireless Self Supporting Towers are now available!  Windloading tables,
foundation diagrams and charts, along with full details are now at the
AN Wireless Web site:  http://www.ANWireless.com

-----