[TowerTalk] Windy days

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 09:53:12 -0600

N4KG responses inserted below.

On Sun, 30 Dec 2001 Dick Flanagan <dick@libelle.com> writes:

> At 11:47 PM -0500 12/30/01, "Stephanie WX3K" <wx3k@ptd.net> wrote:
> >
> > Is there any thoughts on what direction a large HF beam should be
> pointed during a very windy day......Winds in excess of 30 MPH ???
> >
> > Directly into the wind ?
>
> It depends.  :)
>
> What are you worried about?
>
> Are you worried about pushing over your tower?  Calculate the
> position of =least= wind loading.  For a large multi-element yagi,
> probably perpendicular to the wind.

	Generally, there is less projected area perpendicular
	to the boom than perpendicular to the elements. N4KG

> Are you worried about your rotor/mast slipping/weathervaning?
> Calculate the position of most =balanced= wind load, probably
> directly into the wind.

	Since most antennas are mounted on the SIDE of the
	mast, this offset represents considerable torque on
	the mast / rotor when the elements are perpendicular
	to the wind.  If the boom is symmetrical to the mast,
	the least torque may occur with the boom perpendicular
	to the wind.   N4KG

> Are you worried about bending/breaking antenna elements?
> Put those  element into the wind.
>
> Like I said, it depends.
>
> I think I have pretty average concerns where I worry more about my
> rotor/mast slipping than I do about mechanical failures (either the
> tower or antennas), so I aim my antennas into the wind.  Your milage
> (and concerns) may vary.
>
> 73, Dick
> --
> Dick Flanagan W6OLD CFII Minden, Nevada
> Visit http://www.cvrc.net/

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

AN Wireless Self Supporting Towers are now available!  Windloading tables,
foundation diagrams and charts, along with full details are now at the
AN Wireless Web site:  http://www.ANWireless.com

-----