[TowerTalk] 160 meter Noise levels

Stephanie WX3K wx3k@ptd.net
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 16:43:02 -0500

Thanks all for responding !

I do have a 100 by 400 lot of property oriented N-S...that is the longer
part of the lot is N-S......As John Farber suggested, I do have a MFJ-1026
sitting in the shack not hooked up yet......I was considering what type of
"SENSE" antenna to use....Any suggestions ????

Stephanie R. Koles WX3K
wx3k@arrl.net
http://www.qsl.net/wx3k

-----Original Message-----
From: John Farber [mailto:kg6i@worldnet.att.net]
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2001 2:28 PM
To: Stephanie WX3K
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160 meter Noise levels

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephanie WX3K" <wx3k@ptd.net>
To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2001 5:43 PM
Subject: [TowerTalk] 160 meter Noise levels

> I recently put up a 160 meter sloper based on an article in WorldRadio. I
> attached it to my tower at about 50 feet and fed it there and grounded the
> shield to the tower. The antenna still needs some tweaking but seems to
work
> well so far. Now that I have a resonant antenna on 160, I have a wonderful
> S8 noise level across the band.
>
> I wonder what others experience(Noise levels s meter readings) with
typical
> antennas for 160 meters in suburban/rural neighborhoods.
>
> I have also noticied a local(?) noise source that emits on
> 2.225MHz....sounds like a raspy buzz from a bad light ballast. Isnt there
> company that makes lights that utilize 2Mhz RF to make them work ?????????
>

> Stephanie R. Koles WX3K
> wx3k@arrl.net
> http://www.qsl.net/wx3k

If I were you, I would buy an MFJ-1026 noise cancelling box and build a
noise pickup antenna. Such a system here reduces S-9 noise on my 160
antennas to around S1. It is well worth the price-about $170 for the box,
and the antenna you can build for next to nothing. GL, 73 John

AN Wireless Self Supporting Towers are now available!  Windloading tables,
foundation diagrams and charts, along with full details are now at the
AN Wireless Web site:  http://www.ANWireless.com

-----