[TowerTalk] Re: Dipoles or G5RV

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 05:18:41 -0600

N4KG comment below.

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001  "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net> writes:

> > > NVIS has shown up in several posts.  I'm a big fan of acronyms
> but I can't figure this one out.  What is it?
>  > >
>  > > Ken AB5A
>  > >
>  NEAR VERTICAL INCIDENT SKYWAVE
>  As the excellent article on p39 of Jan 1995 QST reports, NVIS
> propagation
> is
>  basically straight up radiation without any skip regions i.e.
> continuos
>  coverage out to about 400 miles.
>
>  I just modeled an 80m wire dipole over perfect ground.  The EZNEC
> elevation pattern showed virtually no difference in gain at all
> elevation angles for
> heights of 16,24, and 33 feet.  The gain for height of 63 feet was
> down a db or so from elevation angle of 90 deg(straight up) to 60 deg
> where  the gain converged with the lower heights.
>
> PS  Another helpful article in QST "Why an Antenna Radiates" , Nov
> 1992 p59
>
> k7puc

The unanswered question here is:

How well does the 'effective ground' approach 'perfect ground'?

A metal roof may actually come fairly close.
Over 'perfect ground', dipoles lower than 1/4WL
show some gain over a 1/4 WL high dipole.

REAL ground is quite lossy and I suspect
a 1/4 WL high dipole would be a better NVIS
antenna than a lower one due to near field losses.

Remember that most modeling programs do NOT
model real earth losses well.  Anyone with NEC2
want to confirm this?

de Tom  N4KG

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.