[TowerTalk] Re: Yagis

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 22:27:03 -0500

> Sure, but that was precisely my point.  No point in optimizing for
> super-deep F/R nulls, particularly if the trade-off is gain bandwidth
> or SWR bandwidth (or F/R bandwidth for that matter).  I'm not talking
> about octaves, of course -- just enough to cover an entire ham band
> with acceptable performance in all 3 dimensions.  The OWA yagi and
> designs like W3LPL's 5-element yagi on 4 elements worth of boomlength
> are good examples of how that can be achieved without relays or other
> unreliable mechanical devices.

A point was made that yagis with single reflectors have maximum
F/R ratio's in the order of 20-25 dB (or something similar), and I
simply pointed out that isn't factual and gave an example of an
antenna that happens to have a F/R ratio much higher than that.

I'm not the person who claimed to have a yagi that covers the
whole band with flat and reasonable impedance, high gain, and a
wide deep null (by virtue of adding two extra reflectors).

Please don't get me involved with those claims!

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com