[TowerTalk] Re: Yagi's

art unwin aunwin@fgi.net
Tue, 06 Feb 2001 11:37:30 -0600

At 05:47 PM 2/5/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Art,
>
>I'd like to see your element lengths to check them on my modeling program.
>13 elements on a 1 wavelength boom is quite an aluminum antler! Can you
>send me the data?

Well hi Joe,
 Thank you so much for stopping by, I delayed in reading it because of some
inner fears which now appear to be unfounded.
 I have visited G3SEK pages many times on
long boom antennas which features your  impressive past
ventures in this particular area.
I noted the many plots with' split' forward lobes which are not for HF
discussion together with the formula that defines gain that include the
number of directors which also presents a window to me that I have never
considered before but gave me cause to consider in this long ongoing project.

With respect to "aluminum antler "

In normal thinking that is what one would expect. But it is not so.
 If the thread had continued or others showed interest and got involved
I think I would have surprised a few people in how in how I stepped back
and reevaluated antenna construction on my own terms.
With out heed to preconceived barriers in the light of present
day materials combined with my enginnering past and consideration
of known problems that can occur when turning a so called 'flywheel' .

But that can be shared another day !

I will readily supply the info requested in a separate E mail
Frankly I have been astonished by the 'on the air' abilities of
this type of antenna and am gratified that you are taking a' look see.'
I also would be very happy to supply photo,s of construction, raising
procedures and antenna up and material pictures together with any
pattern data and personal experiences over the years with this particular
animal.
My original intent with this material was to write it up but I have since
lost interest and thus have no need.
Last week we had an ice storm and my ideas came thru just great!
I didn,t welcome the test but it removed a great concern from my mind

Email info to follow with requested data.
 Your enquiry has given me great joy even tho my expectations are low.

Art Unwin KB9MZ
Note additional comment below

>My 1 to 1.1 wavelength 50 Ohm Yagi antennas designs (no matching required)
>use one reflector and 5 to 6 directors.
>
>In the August 1977 Ham Radio Magazine I wrote up the Trigonal reflector (3
>reflectors) used by the NBS antennas. Later I found with computer modeling
>that it decreased efficiency and moved the rear lobes to another plane!
>Also, the NBS lengths turned out to be incorrect so I redesigned same (had
>to lengthen them) and then designed what became the Cushcraft 2-meter
>BOOMER antenna line.
>
>I now have better and cleaner Yagi designs and no longer find a need for 3
>reflectors....providing.... that you properly design the director structure
>(spacing and element length).

>Great I also went down the triagonal path and frankly I found it overated
in it,s abilities but it does show how extra elements can help in other ways
other than gain e.t.c. by providing reasonable impedances to continue the
pursuit
of a "better antenna" instead of a folded feeder (dipole)
It all depends what target you are aiming for in final use.