[TowerTalk] Re: Quad vs. yagi

Karl Bullock karl@dixie-net.com
Wed, 07 Feb 2001 21:57:11 -0600

Well, I always hate these "mine vs. yours" stuff, and in the case of
Quad Vs. Yagi, it seems most of the time to be "apples vs. oranges".

In my mind it's always been real simple.  A 2 element quad is better
than a 2 element yagi.  If you have a 3 element yagi, you need a 3
element quad to compare, and if you think about it, the reason makes
sense.  You have more capture area, more radiating area, more "wire" in
the air on a 2 element quad than you do a 2 element yagi.

IF you're talking about maintenance, obviously a yagi generally has less
maintenance associated with it because it's mechanically a simpler
antenna.  However, a 3 element quad sure is impressive.  I've had both,
and while I loved my quad, I have 2 yagis I'm in the process of
installing now.

My 5 element quad comes later :)

Karl, WA5TMC

|  President/Sr. Sys Admin   |    The Internet of the South        |
|  Dixie-Net                 |     http://www.dixie-net.com        |
|  P.O. Box 28               |     Nationwide 800 Email at:        |
|  Ripley, MS  38663         |         Nationsmail.com             |
|  (601) 837-0953 Voice      |                                     |
|  (601) 837-7080 Fax        |   Complete Internet/WWW Services    |
   Windows 2k - Brought to you by the people who brought you Y2k