[TowerTalk] Quad vs. yagi

Wes (N7WS) and Linda wesandlinda@triconet.org
Wed, 07 Feb 2001 10:42:56 -0700

Not taking side here, just an observation

At 11:33 AM 2/7/01 EST, K3BU@aol.com wrote:

[snip]

>    It appears that some of the "new wisdom" is coming from the software
>modeling "facts."
>    I just quickly modeled single Quad 1/4 wave/side loop vs. dipole and I
>can get paper advantage of over 2 dB. So no folklore there. (My 3 el. Quad
>beat 7 el. KLM Log Yagi on almost twice the boom on 2m.)

I just used Eznec 3 to compare two models.

1) 10 MHz dipole in free space. AWG 12 copper wire, 31 segments, length +/-
.242628 wavelengths.  Zin = 72.8 -j0.9

Gain = 2.08 dBi.

2) 10 MHz full-wave loop in free space.  AWG #12 copper wire, 36 wires, 52
segments (full taper both ends)  Zin = 126.8 +j0.87.

Gain = 3.19 dBi

Looks like about 1 dB difference to me.

73,

Wes  N7WS