[TowerTalk] Debunking the gain claims

Bill Tippett btippett@alum.mit.edu
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 16:06:42 +0000

I wrote:
>Give a single Razor a 3 dB advantage (>3dB gain minus TH-6 trap loss)
>for the Razor's 60 foot boom versus the TH-6's 24 foot boom

        Just for curiosity, I checked N6BV's designs (using K6STI's YO)
for the following two 15 meter Yagis:

5 elements - 24' boom  -  Free space gain  9.38 dBi
7 elements - 60' boom  -  Free space gain 12.26 dBi  Delta = 2.88 dBi

Of course I doubt a TH-6 would be close to a modern optimized monoband
design so the gain differential might be up to 1 dB more than the above.

        For any who want a wealth of information on multi-element Quads
versus Yagis, see W4RNL's analysis at:  http://www.cebik.com/quad5.html
There is an interesting comparison of a 5 element 20M Quad (K2OB540) on
a 40' boom versus a 5 element Yagi (545W6NGZ) on a 45' boom.

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV