[TowerTalk] Vertical analysis: Location & selection (Butternut/GAP/Hustler/Force 12)

Pat Rundall rundall@newmonics.com
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 12:19:14 -0600

I am in the process of planning a new HF multiband vertical antenna.
At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Butternut HF9V. I have a few
questions. At my location, an overhead view of my yard looks like this:

O O O O O O trees O O O O O O O O
  X_____________________________
  /a  b        d            e   \
  |                             |
  |                             |
  |                             |
  |                             |
  |                             |
  |                             |
  |                             |
  |     _______________    c    |
  ------|**HOUSE******|---------

That is, the back yard is surrounded by a ~4' chain link fence (partially
filled in by the 2 story house) with gates at b and c. The yard is ~85'
deep by 100' wide. I'm thinking that I'd like to run coax from the house,
along the fence (perhaps strapped to the top rail) to a corner post at 'a'.
The Butternut would then be mounted on a ~10' steel (TV) mast bolted to
this post (which is mounted in concrete). Random length radials would
run along the fence line and, periodically, small (~2') ground stakes
would tap these radial lines and the fencing to ground. Radials would
also run along the tree line and psuedo-randomly elsewhere.

We have buried power lines. At 'X' is the power company's transformer box
and, next to the fence at this point is an outdoor water faucet connected
to an underground well (good DC ground point).

I would also run a few radials towards the house and along the tree line,
but very long (organized) radial runs in the direction of the trees is
probably out of the question.

My goals are to get something up, for now, that is an "adequate" performer
(whatever that means) for contesting/dxing. In the future (whatever that
means) I'll put up a 70-80 tower with yagis & perhaps Inv L and demote
the vertical to SO2R second antenna or perhaps portable use. Hence the
HF9V choice. Comments??? (antenna choices, strategy, ...)

An ice storm knocked out most of my double-windom. While I do envision
once again using wire antennas, I don't think it will happen until the
tower goes up as any trees in the area are under 10' high.

Here are my questions:
1) Will the ~4' chain link fencing cause coupling or detuning problems?
2) Would 'd' be a better location considering the extra coax costs and
that I'd have to bury the coax at 'b' or 'c' (a gate)?
3) If the vertical is left at 'a' on the ~10' mast, considering the close
proximity of the ground mounted power transformer, should I expect RFI
problems (it's also my neighbor's power feed)? I think a 10' mast is about
as high as I can go without serious guying or a heavy duty base, correct?
4) Eventually, I'd like to put up at ~70' tower at 'e', about 70' from 'a'
or 35' from 'd'. Any problems here?
5) I'm assuming that radial length won't be critical in this case - just
"the more the better" (I believe our ground quality is good). Right?
6) The email was sent to Bencher/Butternut ~2 weeks ago. No response.
7) I've ordered the K7LXC report, but in the mean time, any comments
on competing verticals (GAP, Hustler, Force 12, ...) are welcome.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Pat, NØHR