[TowerTalk] Verticals on Hill Tops?

Tom Osborne w7why@harborside.com
Mon, 08 Jan 2001 03:11:48 -0800

Dan Levin wrote:

> Does anyone have any data, even anecdotes or just personal >experience, about using verticals and arrays of verticals with >steeply sloped foregrounds?

Hi Dan

I live on the N.E. slope of a hill that is about 450 feet ASL.
The hill slopes off at an angle of about 30 degrees towards
Europe.    My experiences with a 3 element vertical array is that
it kicks butt in the direction of the slope.  I constantly beat
out guys here in town working dx.  I have worked stations they
couldn't even hear at their locations.  In back of my house, the
hill continues up for another 100 feet or so and when I beam
towards JA land, I'm beaming into the hill and I consistently get
beat out in the pileups.  It also works that way with my beams
and dipoles.  My tower is about 35 feet high, right on the edge
of the slope. I can walk down the hill 50 or 60 feet and look up
and the antenna looks about 60 feet high.  I highly recommend
living on the slope of a hill.  73
Tom W7WHY