[TowerTalk] Horizontal loop and ladderline project

Kevin Hemsley Kevin Hemsley" <kev@ida.net
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 14:56:34 -0600

Tom Rauch wrote:

> There are problems with that. A few years ago, I measured the loss
> in ladder line in buried PVC pipe. I don't have that data handy, but
> the loss increase is very substantial.
>
> As I recall, placing the line inside PVC and then burying the pipe
> for ten feet caused loss to exceed that of even very small coaxial
> cables. There is substantial energy outside the area of the
> conductors in a balanced line, and unless you can suspend the
> line several conductor spacings (several inches) away from dirt you
> will likely find you have a nice load resistor.

This is very interesting.  I can run the latter line suspended along a fence
line.  It would run past a metal building about 4 to 5 feet away.    This
sounds better than underground.
Kevin Hemsley
kev@ida.net
KB7TYA