[TowerTalk] Routing cables - tower to shack

EUGENE SMAR SPELUNK.SUENO@prodigy.net
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 12:53:38 -0400

Steve:

     Thanks for the thoughtful comments (as usual.)  Regarding the metallic
enclosure at the base of the tower, I plan on grounding the shield of the
coaxes to the tower leg BEFORE they turn horizontal and enter the side of
the box.  The Trylon has ample flat angled pieces to which I can fasten the
ground clamps while still keeping the ground lead running in a vertical
direction (the same direction as the lightning energy from the top of the
tower.)  So we agree on that point.

     On the position of arrestors, I understand your argument, but with my
configuration, I believe the risk of an underground induction of lightning
current to be minimal.  I've had several lengths of direct-buried coax for
my EWEs and 160M inverted L antennas in operation for about three years now,
with no lightning damage to either the house or the shack equipment.  Have
heard of no lightning damage to others' homes in the neighborhood in my 18
years of living here, other than one strike to a chimney (which was
surrounded by 80-foot tall oak trees, BTW.)

     In addition, the earth connection at the SPG in my tower installation
will be to a ground rod at the END of one tower radial (fifty feet long.)
If my tower were to take a direct hit, the energy on the interior of the
coax will have to be shunted to ground by the arrestor at this single,
distant ground connection (the shield's energy will be shunted to ground by
the two shield connections at the top and bottom of the tower, hopefully).

     In other words, I prefer to shunt a direct tower hit to ground at the
base of the tower where there are three low-inductance connections to earth,
rather than to one ground rod at the end of a long single ground conductor.
I'm discounting as very unlikely, based on experience at AD3F, the
possibility of lightning energy from a nearby hit being coupled to the
underground portion of my coax runs.

     But I still have a few weeks before I install the coax.  I'll give your
advice some more thought.  Thanks again.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F
P.S.  The Sch 40 conduit will be PVC, not metallic.  Important distinction.