[TowerTalk] Antenna Modeling Question Update

KD4OL@aol.com KD4OL@aol.com
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:44:15 EDT

I want to thank those of you who responded to my question.  Several
recommended W7EL's EZNEC V3.0 program.

I looked at his demonstration program but was unable to use it properly to
fit my needs.  I probably lack some software navigational ability.
Suggestions?

I intend to put up a 100 - 120 foot tower with either two or three 10 meter
yagis.    I have three Telrex 10 meter yagis in which I could use in a
stacked configuration vertically.  Two of them are 5 elements each on 23 foot
booms and one has 10 elements on a 45 foot boom.

I would like to get the best configuration for not only dx but for long
distance ground wave.  I thought that by mounting the longer boom yagi at the
top, with the smaller ones lower, that would be the best overall.  However, I
would like to be able to see what the experts think is best with this.

Also, I have a nice 6 element 20 meter Telrex that I would like to see if it
is possible to mount it at the top of the tower with the long boom 10 meter
yagi about 8 feet or so above it.  This would complicate matters, I suppose
but i am interested to see if it is possible for the tower to handle this.

I intend to use either a Rohn 45 or maybe 55 type tower, fully guyed.  I
would probably have to use heavier and stronger guys at the top section than
recommended by Rohn.   Don' t know how much to heavy-up.

I realize that I would need a matching system, perhaps from WX0B for the 10
meter system.  Of course the 20 meter antenna would have its own separate
coax.

Since I want to get it right the first time, and not do alot of "maintenance"
or systems alternations later, I would appreciate the collective wisdom from
this fine group such as you all.  What do you suggest?

Hank
KD4OL

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com">