[TowerTalk] Wood posts

Barry w2up@mindspring.com
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 10:06:28 -0400

Tom:

Another material you may want to consider is PVC. I use 10 ft
sections of 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe. I cut a slit in the top, with a hack
saw, about 3 inches deep, and wedge the wire in the slit. At the
bottom, I use a short piece rebar scrap (~2 ft long) pushed (by
hand or sledge hammer, depending on how soft the ground is at
the time) 1/2 way into the ground, then I put the PVC pipe over it.

My Beverages are up only from October to April, as one goes
across a farmed field, and it's very quick and easy this way to
install and remove them.  I've been using the same rebar and PVC
pipe for almost 10 years, with no degradation, and the supports
have withstood big winds, snowstorms, etc. without a problem.

73,
Barry W2UP

-----