[TowerTalk] Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R vs SO1R

Frank Norton franknorton@home.com
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 05:11:06 -0400

As a contester at heart but a little pistol in life I submit the
following:  The vast majority of us are...in fact...little pistols.  Our
only hope of really winning is to win by meeting our personal goals while
still going for the max...by using what is between our ears.

As Ham Radio Op's I believe we r part of a worldwide fraternity.  A
fraternity enriched by its diversity.  This diversity includes the various
types of operation, as well as the various types within each category.

I consider myself a contester, who is a DX'er and student of ham radio in
between contests. Many who subscribe to this reflector are probably related
to that view to one degree or another.  I doubt that a low band rag-chewer,
or VHF fanatic would think that this reflector is appropriate for their
needs,  though I bet the more knowledgeable of them do.

So--as a contester in a varied fraternity I go for the max...my max!  I do
so by operating as professionally and courteously as I know how.  If I
interfere with another station I apologize, if another station is QRMing
me, I try to discuss it briefly then continue my effort.  There r many
things I will not do to get the "max"...but I sure will give it a
shot.  Most of all I consider each contest a learning session---before,
during, and after.

We all need to focus on our fraternal spirit, especially the operating
procedures and technique while we pursue our goals for any given
contest.  We also need to focus on studying propagation from our
QTH's.  It's great to be able to predict when, and at what frequency and
heading we can work Saudi Arabia vs. India, isn't it?  We little pistol's
need this info more than the big guns.  In fact we need every scrap of
knowledge about ham radio we can get!  We need scraps of knowledge more
because our "windows" r shorter and our ERP is less----> less S units on
the far end.

Thanks to all who contribute to TT.  One of my personal goals is to learn 3
new things each day.  Many of u I have thanked personally....but thanks for
helping me...'cause TT comes up with at least one of the three each day!

Thanks of course to the list sponsors!   Without u none of this wud be
possible.

73 de Frank, kb8xu

At 08:30 PM 7/27/2001 -0700, you wrote:

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001 22:53:05 EDT, K3BU@aol.com wrote:
 >If one is serious about winning, he will go for the max

Nonsense. WRTC is as serious as it gets and they do NOT go for the max,
they go for as equal as possible. That's what makes it the premier
event in contesting - not how many trinkets one has, but how good an
operator one is. It's what's between the ears, not what's on the desk.
Bill, W7TI

-----