[TowerTalk] Awesome HF Array Spotted

Jay Terleski jayt@arraysolutions.com
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 20:54:45 -0500

Hello TTers and Henry,

The Antenna system has been going up for 3 weeks now, and we are finally
finished.  I hope to have time to get on the ham bands with it with the call
of K4A. But time is not on our side since there are 2 other towers to attend
too.

The system is 3 logs top one at 122 feet. Mid at 80, and lower at 40.
Phased in any combination of course, and  we can take the top one out 180
degrees of phase for higher angles.

We also installed NVIS antennas which are dipoles fed with a 600 ohm
ladderline, and we put up 4 900 ft longwires on tall poles, which are
playing very well for the missions these guys have in Africa.

The system was put up by Paul, K7PN Custom Metal Works, and myself as Array
Solutions.  Array is the prime contractor.

We are looking forward to getting an article in QST.  The Special Forces
seem very willing to let us discuss most of the system details. They are
most impressed.  The Ft Bragg area is interesting, we get a daily air show
from Pope AFB.  A10s, C17s, C5s, and other monster aircraft fly over our
heads all the time.  alot of helicopters too.  We lit the tower with a twin
obstruction light to keep em at a safe distance. 8o}

Jay